Covid-19 Update!! Current supply status.
Trading by online order and email.
Outbound Deliveries: Allow a few extra days for both Australian and overseas deliveries.
Pre-orders and Backorders: Allow a few extra days due to quarantine precautions.
Skate - Hobby
Skate Bearings - Frequently Asked Questions
Skates and skateboards use precision bearings to enable them to run smoothly. They don’t require high precision bearings. Abec 1 precision is acceptable for skates and skateboards.
Beware of sales pitches that are embellished with technical sounding terms. You will often find that the more technical jargon that is contained in a sales pitch, the less meaningful it will be. If you don’t fully understand the jargon, don’t assume that it must mean something good.
Beware of sales pitches using excessive positive sounding adjectives, which when you think about it are really not measurable facts. By this we mean, look out for repetitive use of words like "super", "mega", "turbo", "extra", "improved", "heavy duty". Most of these phrases could legitimately be used to describe just about anything because they are not measurable qualities. A cassette player is improved when compared with a record player. An XT computer is Super Fast compared to an adding machine. Cardboard is heavy duty compared to paper. Plastic is heavy duty compared to cardboard. Steel is heavy duty compared to plastic. Is "Super Hardened" really any different to "Hardened"?
Frequently Asked Questions - Index
- ABEC - What does it mean?
- ABEC 1 - Is there a lower grade?
- ABEC 9 - Are they any better than ABEC 1?
- Aggressive Skating - Recommended Bearings
- Ceramic Ball Bearings - Are They Any Good?
- Full Contact Metal Shield - What Is It?
- High Precision Bearings - Grades Available
- High Precision Bearings - Standards
- High Precision Bearings - "Supermarket" brands
- High Precision Bearings - What are they used for?
- High Precision Bearings - Why all the hype?
- Indy Cars - Do Skate Wheels turn faster ?
- Is this a sales pitch?
- Noise Levels, Clearance, Lubrication - Are they covered by ABEC standards?
- Nylon Cages (Retainers)
- Other factors affecting bearing quality
- Part Numbering - "Z" and "ZZ" meaning
- Purpose of this FAQ
- Results to be expected from using High Precision Bearings
- Seals and Shields
- SUJ2 and SAE52100 - What is the difference?
- Speed - How to get more from your bearings
- Speed - What speeds do skate bearings do?
- Stainless Steel Bearings
You can purchase online at Hobby and Engineering Supplies.
For a huge range of bearings online please visit the Bearing Shop Online website.
The Small Parts and Bearings website has a much larger range of engineering supplies.
For the best range of miniature and small bearings please try the Miniature Bearings Australia website. Miniature Bearings Australia also list a large variety of miniature engineering products.
Extra information for Hobby - Skate
Registered Australian Company: Hobby & Engineering Supplies Pty Ltd (ABN 54 125 001 541)
Hobby and Engineering Supplies offers 6254 products in 399 categories including low priced hobby bearings, screws, brass and aluminium rod and tubing, shim - see the full listing in the Online Catalogue. We have excellent Freight Rates within Australia and worldwide. We offer a choice of delivery with a signature required, or cheaper options with no signature required. The no signature required options are at the customer’s risk once the goods leave our store.
Using the links throughout this site you will find extensive information including catalogues, technical data, and other product specific information. We sell our products worldwide through our online store and our overseas freight rates are competitive for fully traceable courier delivery.
Hobby and Engineering Supplies is part of MBA Group offering a select range from the MBA Group catalogue.
Hobby and Engineering Supplies products are not authorised for sale into the USA or Canada due to the reluctance of Australian insurers to provide product liability insurance into those two countries.
Information on this website is Copyright Hobby and Engineering Supplies 1997. All rights reserved.